Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Graveyard Bed and other stuff

I went to the hospital today. Well not because I needed to - my Grandfather was in, poor fella. Anyway, it was an odd experience and I kinda felt as I was leaving that I hated it. I think it is the smell - it is hard for me to describe, but I just really don't like hospitals. Maybe I will write a poem about that.

I didn't post yesterday because I felt like if I did I would have to mention Obama and it felt cliche at that point to do so. But I am glad there is a change, lets hope it is for the better.

John Gallaher had an interesting post on his blog today - a lecture on writing and a writing exercise. I didn't think it was awesome, but it was an ok read. Check it out HERE

I am missing LOST this evening. Which is killing me that I can't see it right now. I just got back from visiting my Grandpa late and I didn't want to jump into it in the middle. So I will probably take the time to watch it tomorrow and I will most likely comment on it tomorrow as well.

And here is a poem I wrote this morning while eating breakfast. I had started thinking about this one as I was falling asleep last night (which is really dangerous because I usually forget what I was writing in my head)(I should keep a pad by my bed) and miraculously I remembered what I wanted to say this morning.

Graveyard Bed

There is a graveyard
in my bed.
Complete with two bodies.
Husband and Wife,
Side by side.
Tucked into
the blanket brown earth.
No headstones.
only heads
sawing off
open and rotten.
A willow hangs
over the communal
grave.
Gently caressing
the backs
of the face
down carcasses
with it's tender touch.

4 comments:

Allen Family said...

That's kind of scary hun!!! I feel the same way about hospitals though.

Unknown said...

I really like this, Scott. Evocative. It pokes fun in a way, stays self referential.

Sorry to hear about your grandpa. I worked in a few hospitals and I find the smell now comforts me a little. It's so strange, such an odd bouquet of sterile smell and rotting smells.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Some rich images. I get the impression of snoring from "heads sawing off open and rotten" but then the "face down carcasses" makes this much more severe. The contrasts make the poem for me.

Mr. Allen said...

Wow thanks for the great comments everybody.