Saturday, March 12, 2016

Storium and Challenge Update

I just finished writing a poem today. So far, I haven't missed a single day, and on a few days, I have written several poems. They are all very rough, but I have seen some potential in a few of them. I think the most important part of this exercise is simply the fact that I am writing again. I am forcing pen to paper and getting words out. This has had a huge effect on my desire to write. Before, I just wanted to sit and watch TV, or play games, or just waste time on YouTube, but now I am making the choice to put those things to the side and work on writing instead. That is the best part of this whole challenge.


Secondly, I discovered Storium. I read about it in one of Wil Wheaton's blog posts and had to check it out for myself. Storium is a collaborative story-telling game. Kinda like a Role Playing Game, except more focused on on the story rather than moving miniatures on a map and beating up bad guys. When I heard about it, I just had to try it and now I am in two stories and planning on narrating my own story. I've fallen in deep guys. As a game, it isn't fully fleshed out. There are very few rules. You use cards to develop your character--a mixture of natures, strengths, and weaknesses. Then you use those cards to beat challenges set up by the narrator. There is a system that if you play a strength card on a challenge you will win control of the story, but I haven't seen that this locks people out of the story. Maybe that rule is more for a rotating narrator rather than a single narrator. The fun, for me, has been fleshing out characters and deciding what they would do and say in certain situations. It really is a fun way to get back into writing. I joined a game that is very much patterned like a Dresden novel, complete with modern wizards, monster hunters, and vampires. I joined just so I could try the game out, as this genre of book isn't usually my cup of tea, but I've been having a ton of fun. 

Storium is also the reason why I have been neglecting my blogs as of late. I look at the time I have available and decide that I would much rather write on Storium than compose a blog post. I am going to try to get back into it though.

No comments: